Re: [RFC 01/11] net: phy: Don't report success if devices weren't found

From: Jeremy Linton
Date: Mon May 25 2020 - 17:59:23 EST

Hi,

On 5/25/20 4:07 PM, Russell King - ARM Linux admin wrote:
On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 04:02:13PM -0500, Jeremy Linton wrote:
So, I think you're going to have to add a work-around to ignore bit 0,
which brings up the question whether this is worth it or not.

It does ignore bit 0, it gets turned into the C22 regs flag, and
cleared/ignored in the remainder of the code (do to MMD loop indexes
starting at 1).

However, I've already pointed out that that isn't the case in a
number of functions that I listed in another email, and I suspect
was glossed over.

Hmm, right, I might not be understanding, I'm still considering your comments in 4/11 and a couple others..

OTOH, the mmd 0 logic could be completely removed, as its actually been broken for a year or so in linux (AFAIK) because the code triggering it was disabled when the C22 sanitation patch was merged. OTOH, this patch is still clearing the C22 flag from devices, so anything dependent entirely on that should have the same behavior as before.

So, there is a bug in the is_valid_phy/device macro, because I messed it up when I converted it to a function because its using a signed val, when it should be unsigned. I don't think that is what you were hinting in 4/11 though.

Thanks,