Re: RTL8723BS driver doesn't work for,me but I can help testing

From: Tobias Baumann
Date: Sat May 23 2020 - 03:48:19 EST

Resend html-format was inside email

Am 21.05.2020 um 13:17 schrieb Tobias Baumann:

Hi Martin

first of all sorry for my short english writing

Am 19.05.2020 um 22:16 schrieb Martin Blumenstingl:
Hi Tobias,

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:21 AM Tobias Baumann<017623705678@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
good morning

i got the new image from oleg(balbes150) 20200518 RC5 and some more
feedback

with my patch and oleg RC5 hotstart(shutdown now) do not work with my
box ( wlan goes back to sleep mode always)
I'm not sure what you mean here.
if you run "shutdown now" then the system does not shut down and only
wifi goes to sleep mode?

i meant that after a reboot with "shutdown now" my box restart but the wifi chip is back in sleep mode , while the wifi chip was online befor the restart .

with my patch chance 1 of 5 till 1 of 3 that my wlan is up and not
sleep from cold start

with oleg chance 1 of 2 till 1of 3 from cold start that wlan is up .
(maybe because of phandle order?)

i thing there is maybe a timming problem between wlan dis , sdio data
and host wake up wlan .
the power sequence driver supports the following two properties, see [0]:
- post-power-on-delay-ms
- power-off-delay-us

Those are not set, meaning no delay is applied.
For reference, these are the delays which are used on the Endless Mini
(which also has a RTL8723BS module): [1]
Do you know more about these delays (whether they are needed and how
long they are supposed to be)?

Âi read also the AP6330 and BCM4330 Datasheet for both of them is a start order inside the datashet ( i think that RTL8723BS should have same timming) . the time between 32k clock and WLAN_dis should be more than minimum 2 clock cycle (1/32kHZ * 2cycle = 0.06ms )

also that AP6330 has most identical pinout as RTL8723BS ( i did not get the pinout of BCM4330 because datasheet only has information to the chip and not the small extra pcb where the chip is mount)

on Android 4.4 my box told me that GPIOAO_6 ist chip enable and GPIOX_11 ist wlan enable

mybe a clue is that in the HArdkernel S805 Datasheet the GPIOAO_6 is also a 32k clock output (site 42 table 10 Func1 maybe (but i also found some Dts file from old S805 RTL8723bs box they use only GPIOX_11 and powerPin2 was comment out )

->

i have another question , do we use the same wifi.c file for the meson8m2 boxes as for endless mini ? i have taken a closer look at the file and the two delay information you are mention are not in the wifi. c is neither a function nor an instance, it just takes two fixed values "mdelay(200)" line 156 , furthermore we ignore the output level of wifi_power_gpio2 and automatically set it to "1" line 378 , so it is important which of the two pins is passed to the header file first (translate with DEEPL)

<-

it could be that GPIOAO_6 is the host wake up wlan ? is it possible to
change the activation order for the gpio pins by change it in dts ?
please check my previous mails. I think that GPIOX_21 is the wifi host
wakeup pin because it is marked as "input" on the 3.10 kernel.
you can change the order of the GPIOs inside the sdio_pwrseq node, but
all GPIOs are managed together (meaning there's virtually no delay
between enabling the first and the second one).
I am not sure if using an MMC power sequence is the right thing to do,
because the card is detected for me regardless of whether GPIOX_11 is
HIGH or LOW. The RTL8723BS driver currently does not manage any GPIOs.

Martin

[0]https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/c477ebe21fabe0010a2ed324ce3a1762c757d867/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/mmc/mmc-pwrseq-simple.txt
[1]https://github.com/endlessm/linux-meson/blob/4c76999c5c707fba9c390466efca093c3befa908/drivers/amlogic/wifi/wifi_dt.c#L153

You are right the chip has only wifi wake host and that should be GPIOX_21 as input ; maybe on your box the pin is alway high on the board ( direkt an 3.3V verdrahtet)

thanks for the information

Tobias

http://www.avg.com