Re: Some -serious- BPF-related litmus tests

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Fri May 22 2020 - 13:45:43 EST

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 10:36:09AM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 03:56:59AM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

> > > I find:
> > >
> > > smp_wmb()
> > > smp_store_release()
> > >
> > > a _very_ weird construct. What is that supposed to even do?
> >
> > Indeed, and I asked about that in my review of the patch containing the
> > code. It -could- make sense if there is a prior read and a later store:
> >
> > r1 = READ_ONCE(a);
> > WRITE_ONCE(b, 1);
> > smp_wmb();
> > smp_store_release(&c, 1);
> > WRITE_ONCE(d, 1);
> >
> > So a->c and b->c is smp_store_release() and b->d is smp_wmb(). But if
> > there were only stores, the smp_wmb() would suffice. And if there wasn't
> > the trailing store, smp_store_release() would suffice.
>
> But that wasn't the context in the litmus test. The context was:
>
> smp_wmb();
> smp_store_release();
> spin_unlock();
> smp_store_release();
>
> That certainly looks like a lot more ordering than is really needed.

I suspect that you are right. I asked him if there were other accesses
in my response to his ringbuffer (as opposed to litmus-test) patch:

https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20200522002502.GF2869@paulmck-ThinkPad-P72/

If there are other accesses requiring both, the litmus tests might need
to be updated.

Thanx, Paul