Re: umip: AMD Ryzen 3900X, pagefault after emulate SLDT/SIDT instruction

From: andi
Date: Tue May 19 2020 - 21:04:22 EST

On 12:43 19.05.20, Ricardo Neri wrote:
> > > Running the same executable on the exact same kernel (and userland) but
> > > on a Intel i7-8565U doesn't crash at this point. I am guessing the
> > > emulation is supposed to do something different on AMD CPUs?
>
> I am surprised you don't see it on the Intel processor. Maybe it does
> not have UMIP. Do you see umip when you do
>
> $ grep umip /proc/cpuinfo

Indeed it doesn't ahve the feature. I would have assumed that it is
recent enough. Apparently not.

> > > On the Ryzen the code executes successfully after setting CONFIG_X86_UMIP=n.
> >
> > Hi Andreas,
> >
> > The problem is that the kernel does not emulate/spoof the SLDT instruction, only SGDT, SIDT, and SMSW.
> > SLDT and STR weren't thought to be commonly used, so emulation/spoofing wasnât added.
> > In the last few months I have seen reports of one or two (32-bit) Windows games that use SLDT though.
> > Can you share more information about the application youâre running?
> >
> > Maybe the best path is to add kernel emulation/spoofing for SLDT and STR on 32 and 64-bit, just to cover all the cases. It should be a pretty simple patch, Iâll start working on it.
>
> I have a patch for this already that I wrote for testing purposes:
>
> https://github.com/ricardon/tip/commit/1692889cb3f8accb523d44b682458e234b93be50
>
> Perhaps it can be used as a starting point? Not sure what the spoofing
> value should be, though. Perhaps 0?

I am not entirely sure what it should return in the general case. My
assumption is that 0 might work. Maybe making it configurable like with
the other UMIP constants that I saw?

I'll give the patch a shot and try to figure out what the authors of the
code have to say about it.