Re: [patch V6 19/37] x86/irq: Convey vector as argument and not in ptregs

From: Andy Lutomirski
Date: Tue May 19 2020 - 16:20:06 EST

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 5:10 PM Thomas Gleixner <tglx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Device interrupts which go through do_IRQ() or the spurious interrupt
> handler have their separate entry code on 64 bit for no good reason.
>
> Both 32 and 64 bit transport the vector number through ORIG_[RE]AX in
> pt_regs. Further the vector number is forced to fit into an u8 and is
> complemented and offset by 0x80 so it's in the signed character
> range. Otherwise GAS would expand the pushq to a 5 byte instruction for any
> vector > 0x7F.
>
> Treat the vector number like an error code and hand it to the C function as
> argument. This allows to get rid of the extra entry code in a later step.
>
> Simplify the error code push magic by implementing the pushq imm8 via a
> '.byte 0x6a, vector' sequence so GAS is not able to screw it up. As the
> pushq imm8 is sign extending the resulting error code needs to be truncated
> to 8 bits in C code.

Acked-by: Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx>

although you may be giving me more credit than deserved :)

+ .align 8
> +SYM_CODE_START(irq_entries_start)
> + vector=FIRST_EXTERNAL_VECTOR
> + .rept (FIRST_SYSTEM_VECTOR - FIRST_EXTERNAL_VECTOR)
> + UNWIND_HINT_IRET_REGS
> + .byte 0x6a, vector
> + jmp common_interrupt
> + .align 8
> + vector=vector+1
> + .endr
> +SYM_CODE_END(irq_entries_start)

Having battled code like this in the past (for early exceptions), I
prefer the variant like:

pos = .;
.rept blah blah blah
.byte whatever
jmp whatever
. = pos + 8;
vector = vector + 1
.endr

or maybe:

.rept blah blah blah
.byte whatever
jmp whatever;
. = irq_entries_start + 8 * vector;
vector = vector + 1
.endr

The reason is that these variants will fail to assemble if something
goes wrong and the code expands to more than 8 bytes, whereas using
.align will cause gas to happily emit 16 bytes and result in
hard-to-debug mayhem.