Re: linux-next: Tree for Apr 22 (objtool warnings)

From: Kees Cook
Date: Thu Apr 23 2020 - 14:06:18 EST

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 11:44:06AM -0500, Josh Poimboeuf wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 08:35:29AM -0700, Randy Dunlap wrote:
> > On 4/22/20 12:10 AM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Changes since 20200421:
> > >

> > on x86_64:
>
> In both cases the unreachable instruction happens immediately after a
> call to a function which is truncated with a UD2 (because of
> UBSAN_TRAP).
>
> When I remove UBSAN_TRAP, the UD2s are replaced with calls to
> __ubsan_handle_type_mismatch_v1().

Hrm, these are coming out of CONFIG_UBSAN_MISC, yes? It seems that the
UBSAN checks that are non-recoverable all inject unreachable checks
afterwards, from what I can see.

> Kees, any idea?

Isn't this another version of the earlier unreachable-ud2 issue?

Regardless, the type_mismatch it triggered for misalignment and
object-size checks, and the alignment check is likely going to always
misfire on x86. The randconfig includes that config:

CONFIG_UBSAN_ALIGNMENT=y

So perhaps the config should be strengthened to disallow it under
COMPILE_TEST?

config UBSAN_ALIGNMENT
def_bool !UBSAN_NO_ALIGNMENT
depends on !COMPILE_TEST