Re: [tip: irq/core] x86: Select HARDIRQS_SW_RESEND on x86

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Thu Mar 12 2020 - 10:05:51 EST

Hi,

On 3/12/20 3:02 PM, Linus Walleij wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:49 PM Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[Me]
I see that ARM and ARM64 simply just select this. What
happens if you do that and why is x86 not selecting it in general?

Erm, "selecting it in general" (well at least on x86) is what
this patch is doing.

Sorry that I was unclear, what I meant to say is why wasn't
this done ages ago since so many important architectures seem
to have it enabled by default.

I suppose the reason would be something like "firmware/BIOS
should handle that for us" and recently that has started to
break apart and x86 platforms started to be more like ARM?

That (x86 becoming more like ARM, sorta, kinda) as well as
that turning it on on x86 was not safe until Thomas wrote
the 2 patches which are marked as dependencies in the commit
message for this patch.

Regards,

Hans