Re: 5.5 XFS getdents regression?

From: Eric Sandeen
Date: Tue Mar 10 2020 - 10:41:25 EST

On 3/10/20 6:12 AM, Bhaskar Chowdhury wrote:
> On 08:45 Tue 10 Mar 2020, Rantala, Tommi T. (Nokia - FI/Espoo) wrote:
>
> Okay, hang on! don't you think you should query at fedora mailing list
> instead here??
>
> Because you are running fedora kernel and I believe it is patched by
> their team. So, they might have much more concrete answer than to ask
> the file system developer here for the outcome.

The Fedora kernel isn't very heavily patched most of the time, but it would
be a good idea to test an upstream kernel (easy enough to just re-use the
Fedora kernel config) to confirm that it is an upstream problem.

OTOH the gitlab link in the original email seems to indicate problems on
Windows as well, so it may require some work to determine whether this is
a test harness problem, kernel problem, etc?

Tommi, if the problem is easy to reproduce perhaps you can try a bisect
on upstream kernels between 5.4.0 and 5.5.0?

Also, testing on ext4 on 5.5.7 would help determine whether the problem
you are seeing is xfs-specific or not.

-Eric