Re: [v5] Documentation: bootconfig: Update boot configuration documentation

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Thu Mar 05 2020 - 16:27:17 EST

>>> What bug are you reporting?
>>
>> Examples:
>>
>> * Another typo
>> ââ contain only alphabets, ââ
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/967d6fee-e0cd-c53f-c1f6-b367a979762c@xxxxxx/
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/3/5/247
>
> Legitimate but not critical.

Thanks for such a view.

It might be that less simple update candidates were left over now.

>> * Use case explanation
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/f3c51b0a-2a55-6523-96e2-4f9ef0635d9f@xxxxxx/
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/3/5/429
>
> I believe what Masami has is sufficient.

I got an other impression.

An other document contains background information like the following.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/trace/boottime-trace.rst?id=b8381ce7aa8ef1ab5a79bf710508e504c494acf7
ââ
Since kernel command line is not enough to control these complex features,
this uses bootconfig file to describe tracing feature programming.
ââ

>> * Challenges for the safe application of key hierarchies
>> âkernel.ftraceâ?
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/c4a0bc10-a38b-6ea9-e125-7a37f667e61a@xxxxxx/
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/2/28/363
>
> Again, what Masami has is sufficient.

I would appreciate further clarification also in this area.

>> * Feature request for syntax description
>> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/2390b729-1b0b-26b5-66bc-92e40e3467b1@xxxxxx/
>> https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/2/27/1869
>
> Masami's reply to you was sufficient.

Yes (in principle).

But I hope to achieve collateral evolution here, too.

> Of your examples, only one do I see can be applied, but is just a minor
> change in wording.

I am trying again to resolve disagreements somehow.

> I don't know where you are going with this, and unless you plan on
> submitting patches, I think this document is complete as is.

I hope also to influence the software development attention another bit.

Regards,
Markus