Re: Regression in v4.19.106 breaking waking up of readers of /proc/kmsg and /dev/kmsg

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Mon Mar 02 2020 - 04:49:13 EST

On Sun 2020-03-01 14:22:19, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:
> On (20/02/29 18:47), Steven Rostedt wrote:
> [..]
> > >
> > > Well, my 5 cents, there is nothing that prevents "too-early"
> > > printk_deferred() calls in the future. From that POV I'd probably
> > > prefer to "forbid" printk_deffered() to touch per-CPU deferred
> > > machinery until it's not "too early" anymore. Similar to what we
> > > do in printk_safe::queue_flush_work().
> >
> > I agree that printk_deferred() should handle being called too early.
> > But the issue is with per_cpu variables correct? Not the irq_work?
>
> Correct. printk_deferred() and printk_safe()/printk_nmi() irq_works
> are per-CPU. We use "a special" flag in printk_safe()/printk_nmi() to
> tell if it's too early to modify per-CPU irq_work or not.
>
> I believe that we need to use that flag for all printk-safe/nmi
> per-CPU data, including buffers, not only for irq_work. Just in
> case if printk_safe or printk_nmi, somehow, are being called too
> early.
>
> > We could add a flag in init/main.c after setup_per_cpu_areas() and then
> > just have printk_deferred() act like a normal printk(). At that point,
> > there shouldn't be an issue in calling printk() directly, is there?
>
> Sure, this will work. I believe we introduced a "work around" approach
> in printk-safe because noone would ACK a global init/main.c flag for
> printk(). If we can land a "per_cpu_areas_ready" flag (I've some doubts
> here), then yes (!), let's use it and let's remove printk-safe workaround.

A compromise might be to set a flag in setup_log_buf(). It is called
much earlier but it seems to be safe enough.

mm_init() is called close after setup_log_buf(). And it seems to be
using per-cpu variables when creating caches, see:

+ mm_init()
+ kmem_cache_init()
+ create_boot_cache()
+ __kmem_cache_create()
+ setup_cpu_cache()

It is just a detail. But I would make the flag independent
on the existing printk_safe stuff. printk_safe will get removed
with the lockless printk buffer. While the irq_work() will still
be needed for the wakeup functions.

Sergey, do you agree and want to update your patch accordingly?

Best Regards,
Petr