Re: [RFC] regset ->get() API

From: Al Viro
Date: Thu Feb 20 2020 - 18:29:33 EST

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 02:56:28PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 2:47 PM Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 12:01:54PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > > I don't mind it, but some of those buffers are big, and the generic
> > > code generally doesn't know how big.
> >
> > That's what regset_size() returns...
>
> Yes, but the code ends up being disgusting. You first have to call
> that indirect function just to get the size, then do a kmalloc, and
> then call another indirect function to actually fill it.

Umm... You do realize that this indirect function is a pathological
case, right? It has exactly one user - REGSET_SVE on arm64. Everything
else uses regset->n * regset->size.

> Don't do that. Not since we know how retpoline is a bad thing.
>
> And since the size isn't always some trivial constant (ie for x86 PFU
> it depends on the register state!), I think the only sane model is to
> change the interface even more, and just have the "get()" function not
> only get the data, but allocate the backing store too.
>
> So you'd never pass in the result pointer - you'd get a result area
> that you can then free.
>
> Hmm?

Do you want such allocations done in each ->get() instance? We have
a plenty of those instances...

> > FWIW, what I have in mind is to start with making copy_regset_to_user() do
> > buf = kmalloc(size, GFP_KERNEL);
> > if (!buf)
> > return -ENOMEM;
> > err = regset->get(target, regset, offset, size, buf, NULL);
>
> See above. This doesn't work. You don't know the size. And we don't
> have a known maximum size either.

We do know that caller does not want more than the value it has passed in
'size' argument, though. For existing ptrace requests it's either
min(iov->iov_len, regset->n * regset->size) (in ptrace_regset())
or an explicit constant (usually in arch_ptrace()). Note, BTW, that
regset_size() is used only by coredump - that's how much we allocate
there. Everybody else either looks like
case PTRACE_GETFPREGS: /* Get the child FPU state. */
return copy_regset_to_user(child,
task_user_regset_view(current),
REGSET_FP,
0, sizeof(struct user_i387_struct),
datap);
or does regset->n * regset->size.

FWIW, the real need to know the size is not in "how much do we allocated" -
it's "how much do we copy"; I _think_ everyone except that arm64 thing
fills exactly regset->n * regset->size (or we have a nasty infoleak in
coredumps) and we can switch coredump to "allocate regset->n * regset->size,
call ->get(), copy all of that into coredump unless ->get_size is there,
copy ->get_size() bytes to coredump if ->get_size exists" as the first
step.

Longer term I would have ->get() tell how much has it filled and killed
->get_size(). Again, there's only one user. But I'd prefer to do that
in the end of series, when the bodies of ->get() instances are cleaned
up...