[RFC v2 0/4] Documentation/locking/atomic: Add litmus tests for atomic APIs

From: Boqun Feng
Date: Wed Feb 19 2020 - 01:26:47 EST

A recent discussion raises up the requirement for having test cases for
atomic APIs:

https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200213085849.GL14897@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

, and since we already have a way to generate a test module from a
litmus test with klitmus[1]. It makes sense that we add more litmus
tests for atomic APIs. And based on the previous discussion, I create a
new directory Documentation/atomic-tests and put these litmus tests
here.

This patchset starts the work by adding the litmus tests which are
already used in atomic_t.txt, and also improve the atomic_t.txt to make
it consistent with the litmus tests.

Previous version:
v1: https://lore.kernel.org/linux-doc/20200214040132.91934-1-boqun.feng@xxxxxxxxx/

Changes since v1:

* Move the tests into Documentation/atomic-tests directory as a
result of the discussion with Alan and Paul.

* Word changing on litmus test names and other sentences in
documents based on Alan's suggestion.

* Add local variable declarations in
Atomic-RMW+mb__after_atomic-is-stronger-than-acquire to make
klitmus work as per Andrea's suggestion.

Currently, I haven't heard anything from Luc on whether the
atomic_add_unless() works or not for the LKMM, but based on my test and
Andrea's previous test, I think it actually works. I will add the
corresponding changes to the LIMITATIONS part of LKMM document if I got
a comfirm from Luc. And my PR:

https://github.com/herd/herdtools7/pull/28

is still not merged. So this version is simply an RFC and comments and
suggesions are welcome!

Regards,
Boqun

[1]: http://diy.inria.fr/doc/litmus.html#klitmus

Boqun Feng (4):
Documentation/locking/atomic: Fix atomic-set litmus test
Documentation/locking/atomic: Introduce atomic-tests directory
Documentation/locking/atomic: Add a litmus test for atomic_set()
Documentation/locking/atomic: Add a litmus test smp_mb__after_atomic()

...ter_atomic-is-stronger-than-acquire.litmus | 32 +++++++++++++++++++
...c-RMW-ops-are-atomic-WRT-atomic_set.litmus | 24 ++++++++++++++
Documentation/atomic-tests/README | 16 ++++++++++
Documentation/atomic_t.txt | 24 +++++++-------
MAINTAINERS | 1 +
create mode 100644 Documentation/atomic-tests/Atomic-RMW+mb__after_atomic-is-stronger-than-acquire.litmus
create mode 100644 Documentation/atomic-tests/Atomic-RMW-ops-are-atomic-WRT-atomic_set.litmus
create mode 100644 Documentation/atomic-tests/README

--
2.25.0