Re: [RFC 0/3] tools/memory-model: Add litmus tests for atomic APIs

From: Alan Stern
Date: Fri Feb 14 2020 - 10:28:08 EST

On Fri, 14 Feb 2020, Boqun Feng wrote:

> A recent discussion raises up the requirement for having test cases for
> atomic APIs:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20200213085849.GL14897@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> , and since we already have a way to generate a test module from a
> litmus test with klitmus[1]. It makes sense that we add more litmus
> tests for atomic APIs into memory-model.

It might be worth discussing this point a little more fully. The
set of tests in tools/memory-model/litmus-tests/ is deliberately rather
limited. Paul has a vastly more expansive set of litmus tests in a
GitHub repository, and I am doubtful about how many new tests we want
to keep in the kernel source.

Perhaps it makes sense to have tests corresponding to all the examples
in Documentation/, perhaps not. How do people feel about this?

Alan