RE: [RFC v3 2/8] vfio/type1: Make per-application (VM) PASID quota tunable

From: Liu, Yi L
Date: Sat Feb 08 2020 - 03:46:57 EST

Hi Jacob,

that's true.

> The solution I am thinking is to enforce quota at IOASID common
> code, since IOASID APIs already used to manage system-wide allocation.
> How about the following changes to IOASID?
> 1. introduce quota in ioasid_set (could have a soft limit for better
> sharing)
>
> 2. introduce an API to create a set with quota before allocation, e.g.
> ioasid_set_id = ioasid_alloc_set(size, token)
> set_id will be used for ioasid_alloc() instead of token.

Is the token the mm pointer? I guess you may want to add one more
API like ioasid_get_set_id(token), thus that other ioasid user could get
set_id with their token. If token is the same give them the same set_id.

> 3. introduce API to adjust set quota ioasid_adjust_set_size(set_id,
> size)
>
> 4. API to check remaining PASIDs ioasid_get_capacity(set_id); //return
> system capacity if set_id == 0;
>
> 5. API to set system capacity, ioasid_set_capacity(nr_pasids), e.g. if
> system has 20 bit PASIDs, IOMMU driver needs to call
> ioasid_set_capacity(1<<20) during boot.

yes, this is definitely necessary.

> 6. Optional set level APIs. e.g. ioasid_free_set(set_id), frees all
> IOASIDs in the set.

If this is provided. I think VFIO may be not necessary to track allocated
PASIDs. When VM is down or crashed, VFIO just use this API to reclaim
allocated PASIDs.

> With these APIs, this patch could query PASID capacity at both system
> and set level and adjust quota within range. i.e.
> 1. IOMMU vendor driver(or other driver to use PASID w/o IOMMU) sets
> system wide capacity during boot.
> 2. VFIO Call ioasid_alloc_set() when allocating vfio_mm(), set default
> quota
> 3. Adjust quota per set with ioasid_adjust_set_size() as the tunable in
> this patch.

I think this is abstraction of the allocated PASID track logic in a common
layer. It would simplify user logic.

Regards,
Yi Liu