Re: [GIT PULL] PCI changes for v5.6

From: Bjorn Helgaas
Date: Sat Feb 01 2020 - 13:37:23 EST

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 02:49:52PM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 2:34 PM Bjorn Helgaas <helgaas@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git 01b810ed7187
>
> You must have screwed up your git request-pull somehow.
>
> Yes, yes, the above works, and a branch is just a named SHA1. You can
> give the SHA1 directly.
>
> But it's not what you meant to do, I'm sure. Especially since you
> pointed to the SHA1 of the top commit, not the tag that you have that
> points to it.
>
> I can see what you _meant_ to ask me to pull with "git ls-remote". I
> clearly should - and will - pull the 'pci-v5.6-changes' tag, which
> points to that commit.
>
> But can you check what in your workflow went wrong for the above to happen?

Oooh, I'm sorry, that's my fault; I did screw it up. I usually do
this:

git request-pull origin/master git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git $COMMIT > msg.txt
git tag -s $TAG $COMMIT
git push pci $TAG
git request-pull origin/master git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git $TAG > msg.txt

so I can look over the updates one last time before tagging, but I got
distracted in the middle and I think I forgot to do the second
request-pull after pushing the tag.

Thanks for compensating.

Bjorn