Re: [Patch v2] block: introduce block_rq_error tracepoint

From: Cong Wang
Date: Sun Jan 26 2020 - 15:26:18 EST

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 4:01 PM Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:26:18 -0800
> Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > +/**
> > + * block_rq_error - block IO operation error reported by device driver
> > + * @rq: block operations request
> > + * @error: status code
> > + * @nr_bytes: number of completed bytes
> > + *
> > + * The block_rq_error tracepoint event indicates that some portion
> > + * of operation request has failed as reported by the device driver.
> > + */
> > +TRACE_EVENT(block_rq_error,
> > +
> > + TP_PROTO(struct request *rq, int error, unsigned int nr_bytes),
> > +
> > + TP_ARGS(rq, error, nr_bytes),
> > +
> > + TP_STRUCT__entry(
> > + __field( dev_t, dev )
> > + __dynamic_array( char, name, DISK_NAME_LEN )
>
> Hmm, looks like I need to go and do a clean up of the kernel, and
> educate people on how to use dynamic arrays :-/

Yeah.

> The "len" field of a __dynamic_array() is to be a function to determine
> the length needed for each instance of an event. By having a constant
> there, it will be the same for every events, plus the meta data to hold
> the "dynamic" part of the array. This would be much better to simple
> use __array() instead.
>
> But as you use "__assign_str()" below, then it's expected that name is
> a nul terminated string. In which case, you want to define this as:
>
> __string( name, rq->rq_disk ? rq->rq_disk->disk_name : "?" )

Ah, I wanted to use string() but all the existing users initialize/assign
them twice: once in TP_STRUCT__entry() and once in TP_fast_assign().

> > + __field( sector_t, sector )
> > + __field( unsigned int, nr_sector )
> > + __field( int, error )
> > + __array( char, rwbs, RWBS_LEN )
> > + __dynamic_array( char, cmd, 1 )
>
> Not sure what you are doing with cmd. It appears to be always hard
> coded as an empty string?

It is supposed to be a string of one-char commands. This is a
copy-n-paste from existing block_rq_requeue(). I don't know why
its length is 1, but yeah it looks wrong to me too.

Thanks!