Re: [Patch v4] mm: thp: remove the defer list related code since this will not happen

From: David Rientjes
Date: Tue Jan 21 2020 - 18:08:44 EST

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > I believe this still doesn't describe the underlying problem to the full
> > > extent. What happens with the page on the deferred list when it
> > > shouldn't be there in fact? Unless I am missing something deferred_split_scan
> > > will simply split that huge page. Which is a bit unfortunate but nothing
> > > really critical. This should be mentioned in the changelog.
> > >

> > Are you referring to a compound page on the deferred split queue before a
> > task is moved? I'm not sure this is within the scope of Wei's patch..
> > this is simply preventing a page from being moved to the deferred split
> > queue of a memcg that it is not charged to. Is there a concern about why
> > this code can be removed or a suggestion on something else it should be
> > doing instead?
>
> No, I do not have any concern about the patch itslef. It is that the
> changelog doesn't decribe the user visible effect. All I am saying is
> that the current code splits THPs of moved pages under memory pressure
> even if that is not needed. And that is a clear bug.

Ah, gotcha. I tried to do this in the final paragraph of my amedment to
Wei's patch and why it's important that this is marked as stable.

The current code in 5.4 from commit 87eaceb3faa59 places any migrated
compound page onto the deferred split queue of the destination memcg
regardless of whether it has a mapping pmd
(list_empty(page_deferred_list()) was already false) or it does not have a
mapping pmd (but is now on the wrong queue). For the latter,
can_split_huge_page() can help for the actual split but not for the
removal of the page that is now erroneously on the queue. For the former,
memcg reclaim would not see the pages that it should split under memcg
pressure so we'll see the same memcg oom conditions we saw before the
deferred split shrinker became SHRINKER_MEMCG_AWARE: unnecessary ooms.