Re: [resend v1 1/5] block/genhd: Notify udev about capacity change

From: Singh, Balbir
Date: Tue Jan 21 2020 - 14:57:25 EST

On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 16:04 +0100, hch@xxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2020 at 10:15:34PM -0500, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
> >
> > Balbir,
> >
> > > I did this to avoid having to enforce that set_capacity() implied a
> > > notification. Largely to control the impact of the change by default.
> >
> > What I thought. I'm OK with set_capacity_and_notify(), btw.
>
> To some extent it might make sense to always notify from set_capacity
> and have a set_capacity_nonotify if we don't want to notify, as in
> general we probably should notify unless we have a good reason not to.

I am not sure if this is the right path, since with the new interface, we'll
now have revalidate disk bits built into the function (see the comments from
Bob earlier). I'd be happier converting interfaces a few at a time, A quick
grep found over 100 references and I am not even sure how many of them are
resizable without hotplug in/out on the fly. Hence, I limited myself to the
small subset, I could consider expanding it later based on the need and their
ability to resize on the fly

Balbir Singh.