Re: Boot warning at rcu_check_gp_start_stall()

From: Qian Cai
Date: Tue Jan 21 2020 - 09:37:17 EST

> On Jan 21, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> One approach would be to boot with rcupdate.rcu_cpu_stall_timeout=300,
> which would allow more time.

It works for me if once that warning triggered, give a bit information about adjusting the parameter when debugging options are on to suppress the warning due to expected long boot.

> Longer term, I could suppress this warning during boot when
> CONFIG_EFI_PGT_DUMP=y, but that sounds quite specific. Alternatively,
> I could provide a Kconfig option that suppressed this during boot
> that was selected by whatever long-running boot-time Kconfig option
> needed it. Yet another approach would be for long-running operations
> like efi_dump_pagetable() to suppress stalls on entry and re-enable them
> upon exit.
>
> Thoughts?

None of the options sounds particularly better for me because there could come up with other options may trigger this, memtest comes in mind, for example. Then, it is a bit of pain to maintain of unknown.