Re: USB devices on Dell TB16 dock stop working after resuming

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Sat Jan 18 2020 - 04:16:07 EST

Dear Mario,

Am 17.01.20 um 19:33 schrieb Mario.Limonciello@xxxxxxxx:
I was able to reproduce the issue with an external HS hub as well, so this issue
appears to be more related to ASMedia host than the built in HS hub in TB16

I contacted the (German) Dell support, and they asked me to update the laptop
firmware to 1.9.1 claiming that these issues might be fixed there (despite the
change-log not containing that). Anyway, after the update, the user is still
able to reproduce the issue.

Mario, what can I do, so the issue is escalated to your team, so you can work
with ASMedia to solve this?

From this thread it does sound to me like an ASMedia firmware problem,
not a Linux kernel problem.

I do know there is an updated ASMedia firmware binary available. Right now
however there is unfortunately not a way to update ASMedia hub firmware using
free software.

The fwupd issue *Dell TB16: ASMedia USB controller can't be updated* [1] was closed by the âstale robotâ.

If possible, I would recommend that you try to update the
firmware using a Windows machine and see if it helps the problem.

Thank you. Iâll try to do that on Monday.

I'm sorry and I don't intend to "pass the buck" but if that doesn't help this needs
to be prioritized and escalated with Dell support.

They will then work with the appropriate engineering team who owns the relationship
to ASMedia to resolve it.

Thatâs how it should work theoretically, but have you ever dealt with Dellâs first level support? They have little experience with Ubuntu, and if you are unlucky, they say that Ubuntu support is not done by Dell but âby the Linux communityâ. If you are lucky to not get this answer, they do (Google) searches, telling you, your problem is solved by referencing only similar sounding problems from the Ubuntu *user* forums. If the firmware has a bug (in the UI!), they ask you to install Microsoft Windows to see if that solves the issue. If you tell them, the Linux developers analyzed the problem, and they say the following solution have to be found, they do not know what that means. Itâs very annoying and time consuming often for naught.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://github.com/fwupd/fwupd/issues/1351