Re: INFO: task hung in __do_page_fault (2)

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Thu Nov 21 2019 - 16:00:57 EST

Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 7:01 PM Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2019 at 11:52 AM syzbot
>> <syzbot+6b074f741adbd93d2df5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> >
>> > syzbot has bisected this bug to:
>> >
>> > commit 0161028b7c8aebef64194d3d73e43bc3b53b5c66
>> > Author: Andy Lutomirski <luto@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> > Date: Mon May 9 22:48:51 2016 +0000
>> >
>> > perf/core: Change the default paranoia level to 2
>> >
>> > bisection log: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/bisect.txt?x=15910e86e00000
>> > start commit: 18d0eae3 Merge tag 'char-misc-4.20-rc1' of git://git.kerne..
>> > git tree: upstream
>> > final crash: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/report.txt?x=17910e86e00000
>> > console output: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/log.txt?x=13910e86e00000
>> > kernel config: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/.config?x=342f43de913c81b9
>> > dashboard link: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?extid=6b074f741adbd93d2df5
>> > syz repro: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.syz?x=12482713400000
>> > C reproducer: https://syzkaller.appspot.com/x/repro.c?x=158fd4a3400000
>> >
>> > Reported-by: syzbot+6b074f741adbd93d2df5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> > Fixes: 0161028b7c8a ("perf/core: Change the default paranoia level to 2")
>> >
>> > For information about bisection process see: https://goo.gl/tpsmEJ#bisection
>>
>> Hi syzbot-
>>
>> I'm not quite sure how to tell you this in syzbotese, but I'm pretty
>> sure you've bisected this wrong. The blamed patch makes no sense.
>

> Hi Andy,
>
> Three is no way to tell syzbot about this, it does not have any way to
> use this information.
> You can tell this to other recipients, though, and for the record on
> the bug report email thread. For this you can use any free form.
>
> But what makes you think this is wrong?
> From everything I see this looks like amazingly precise bisection.
> The reproducer contains perf_event_open which seems to cause the hang
> (there is a number of reports where perf_event_open hangs kernel dead
> IIRC) _and_ it contains setresuid. Which makes good match for
> "perf/core: Change the default paranoia level to 2" (for unpriv
> users).
> The bisection log also looks perfectly correct to me: no unrelated
> kernel bugs were hit along the way; the crash was always reproduced
> 100% reliably in all 10 runs; nothing else suspicious.
> I can totally imagine that your patch unmasked some latent bug, but
> it's not 100% obvious to me and in either case syzbot did the job as
> well as a robot could possibly do.

All Andy's patch did was change the default value of
sysctl_perf_event_paranoid. Which a quick skim of the code can only
cause perf_event_open to fail.

So if perf is running as non-root aka unprivileged it might have
been affected.

That said the most likely effect that would cause a hang is for perf to
not be started and therefore it's NMI's did not happen and so something
else was free to hang.

The other possibility is something in perf_event_open goes haywire
when it attempts to start and gets permission denied. That seems
unlikely. Assuming that was the case Andy's change did not
touch any of the perf_event_open code. So at most it is highlighting
a path that was broken in earlier kernels and Andy's change to
the default caused the syzbot code to take a path that was broken
much earlier.

The common sense operation to perform at this point is to realize
that the setting of sysctl_perf_event_open matters to the test and
to modify the test to set sysctl_perf_event_open before it does
more things, and then syzbot or it's keepers can track down a likely
cause for the hang.

Certainly pointing at Andy's patch gives no one any real information of
why the kernel was hanging. It is literally changing an default value
of 1 to a default value of 2.

Eric