Query regarding hid-multitouch.c driver in 4.14/4.19

From: Neeraj Upadhyay
Date: Tue Nov 12 2019 - 21:30:07 EST

Hi,

I have one query regarding hid-multitouch.c driver and need your guidance on
how hid-multitouchc can restore/support the original behaviour, where, for
devices, for which application is not HID_DG_TOUCHSCREEN/HID_DG_TOUCHPAD, and has
HID_DG_CONTACTID usage in its report, can still use generic input mappings.

We are using kernel versions 4.14 , 4.19 respectively in 2 different projects:

4.14: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c?h=v4.14.153
4.19: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/tree/drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c?h=v4.19.83

I checked the application for our hid device, it's HID_DG_PEN, device also has a HID_DG_CONTACTID usage defined in

its report.

In 4.19, is_mt_collection is set to 'true'. All multitouch code paths or input mapping is configured

mt_allocate_report_data()
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ for (n = 0; n < field->report_count; n++) {
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if (field->usage[n].hid == HID_DG_CONTACTID)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ rdata->is_mt_collection = true;ÂÂ // is_mt_collection is set to 'true'
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ }
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ }

mt_input_mapping()
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ ...
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if (rdata->is_mt_collection)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ return mt_touch_input_mapping(...)Â // mt_touch_input_mapping() is called

mt_event()
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if (rdata && rdata->is_mt_collection)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ return mt_touch_event();Â // mt_touch_event() is called

However, in 4.14, the behaviour was different, mt input mapping was done only
for HID_DG_TOUCHSCREEN/HID_DG_TOUCHPAD , and because our hid device is
HID_DG_PEN, generic mappings were applied for it; with these settings, device
responds to events.

static int mt_input_mapping()
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ if (field->application == HID_DG_TOUCHSCREEN ||
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ field->application == HID_DG_TOUCHPAD)
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ return mt_touch_input_mapping();Â // This is not called.

mt_touch_input_mapping()
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ case HID_DG_CONTACTID:
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ mt_store_field(usage, td, hi);
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ td->touches_by_report++;
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ td->mt_report_id = field->report->id; // mt_report_id is not set.
ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ return 1;

Looks like this behaviour changed, with below commits:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c?h=v4.19.83&id=8dfe14b3b47ff832cb638731f9fc696a3a84f804
8dfe14b3b47fÂÂÂ HID: multitouch: ditch mt_report_id
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/drivers/hid/hid-multitouch.c?h=v4.19.83&id=ba6b055e0f3b4ff4942e4ab273260affcfad9bff
ba6b055e0f3bÂÂÂÂ HID: input: enable Totem on the Dell Canvas 27

Can you please suggest on how we can support/preserve the original behaviour?

Thanks
Neeraj

--
QUALCOMM INDIA, on behalf of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum, hosted by The Linux Foundation