Re: wake_q memory ordering

From: Davidlohr Bueso
Date: Fri Oct 11 2019 - 11:47:40 EST

On Fri, 11 Oct 2019, Manfred Spraul wrote:
I don't know. The new documentation would not have answered my question (is it ok to combine smp_mb__before_atomic() with atomic_relaxed()?). And it copies content already present in atomic_t.txt.

Well, the _relaxed (and release/acquire) extentions refer to a
_successful_ operation (LL/SC), and whether it has barriers on
each of the sides before and after. I thought you were mainly
worried about the failed CAS scenario, not the relaxed itself.

I don't know how this copies content from atomic_t.txt, at no
point does it talk about failed CAS.

Thus: I would prefer if the first sentence of the paragraph is replaced: The list of operations should end with "...", and it should match what is in atomic_t.txt

I'll see about combining some of your changes in patch 5/5 of
your new series, but have to say I still prefer my documentation
change.

Thanks,
Davidlohr