Re: For review: rewritten pivot_root(2) manual page

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Wed Oct 09 2019 - 04:46:59 EST

"Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)" <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Hello Philipp,
>
> My apologies that it has taken a while to reply. (I had been hoping
> and waiting that a few more people might weigh in on this thread.)
>
> On 9/23/19 3:42 PM, Philipp Wendler wrote:
>> Hello Michael,
>>
>> Am 23.09.19 um 14:04 schrieb Michael Kerrisk (man-pages):
>>
>>> I'm considering to rewrite these pieces to exactly
>>> describe what the system call does (which I already
>>> do in the third paragraph) and remove the "may or may not"
>>> pieces in the second paragraph. I'd welcome comments
>>> on making that change.
>>
>> I think that it would make the man page significantly easier to
>> understand if if the vague wording and the meta discussion about it are
>> removed.
>
> It is my inclination to make this change, but I'd love to get more
> feedback on this point.
>
>>> DESCRIPTION
>> [...]> pivot_root() changes the
>>> root directory and the current working directory of each process
>>> or thread in the same mount namespace to new_root if they point to
>>> the old root directory. (See also NOTES.) On the other hand,
>>> pivot_root() does not change the caller's current working direcâ
>>> tory (unless it is on the old root directory), and thus it should
>>> be followed by a chdir("/") call.
>>
>> There is a contradiction here with the NOTES (cf. below).
>
> See below.
>
>>> The following restrictions apply:
>>>
>>> - new_root and put_old must be directories.
>>>
>>> - new_root and put_old must not be on the same filesystem as the
>>> current root. In particular, new_root can't be "/" (but can be
>>> a bind mounted directory on the current root filesystem).
>>
>> Wouldn't "must not be on the same mountpoint" or something similar be
>> more clear, at least for new_root? The note in parentheses indicates
>> that new_root can actually be on the same filesystem as the current
>> note. However, ...
>
> For 'put_old', it really is "filesystem".

If we are going to be pedantic "filesystem" is really the wrong concept
here. The section about bind mount clarifies it, but I wonder if there
is a better term.

I think I would say: "new_root and put_old must not be on the same mount
as the current root."

I think using "mount" instead of "filesystem" keeps the concepts less
confusing.

As I am reading through this email and seeing text that is trying to be
precise and clear then hitting the term "filesystem" is a bit jarring.
pivot_root doesn't care a thing for file systems. pivot_root only cares
about mounts.

And by a "mount" I mean the thing that you get when you create a bind
mount or you call mount normally.

Michael do you have man pages for the new mount api yet?

> For 'new_root', see below.
>
>>> - put_old must be at or underneath new_root; that is, adding a
>>> nonnegative number of /.. to the string pointed to by put_old
>>> must yield the same directory as new_root.
>>>
>>> - new_root must be a mount point. (If it is not otherwise a
>>> mount point, it suffices to bind mount new_root on top of
>>> itself.)
>>
>> ... this item actually makes the above item almost redundant regarding
>> new_root (except for the "/") case. So one could replace this item with
>> something like this:
>>
>> - new_root must be a mount point different from "/". (If it is not
>> otherwise a mount point, it suffices to bind mount new_root on top
>> of itself.)
>>
>> The above item would then only mention put_old (and maybe use clarified
>> wording on whether actually a different file system is necessary for
>> put_old or whether a different mount point is enough).
>
> Thanks. That's a good suggestion. I simplified the earlier bullet
> point as you suggested, and changed the text here to say:
>
> - new_root must be a mount point, but can't be "/". If it is not
> otherwise a mount point, it suffices to bind mount new_root on
> top of itself. (new_root can be a bind mounted directory on
> the current root filesystem.)

How about:
- new_root must be the path to a mount, but can't be "/". Any
path that is not already a mount can be converted into one by
bind mounting the path onto itself.

>>> NOTES
>> [...]
>>> pivot_root() allows the caller to switch to a new root filesystem
>>> while at the same time placing the old root mount at a location
>>> under new_root from where it can subsequently be unmounted. (The
>>> fact that it moves all processes that have a root directory or
>>> current working directory on the old root filesystem to the new
>>> root filesystem frees the old root filesystem of users, allowing
>>> it to be unmounted more easily.)
>>
>> Here is the contradiction:
>> The DESCRIPTION says that root and current working dir are only changed
>> "if they point to the old root directory". Here in the NOTES it says
>> that any root or working directories on the old root file system (i.e.,
>> even if somewhere below the root) are changed.
>>
>> Which is correct?
>
> The first text is correct. I must have accidentally inserted
> "filesystem" into the paragraph just here during a global edit.
> Thanks for catching that.
>
>> If it indeed affects all processes with root and/or current working
>> directory below the old root, the text here does not clearly state what
>> the new root/current working directory of theses processes is.
>> E.g., if a process is at /foo and we pivot to /bar, will the process be
>> moved to /bar (i.e., at / after pivot_root), or will the kernel attempt
>> to move it to some location like /bar/foo? Because the latter might not
>> even exist, I suspect that everything is just moved to new_root, but
>> this could be stated explicitly by replacing "to the new root
>> filesystem" in the above paragraph with "to the new root directory"
>> (after checking whether this is true).
>
> The text here now reads:
>
> pivot_root() allows the caller to switch to a new root filesystem
> while at the same time placing the old root mount at a location
> under new_root from where it can subsequently be unmounted. (The
> fact that it moves all processes that have a root directory or
> current working directory on the old root directory to the new
> root frees the old root directory of users, allowing the old root
> filesystem to be unmounted more easily.)

Please "mount" instead of "filesystem".

>>> EXAMPLE> The program below demonstrates the use of pivot_root() inside a
>>> mount namespace that is created using clone(2). After pivoting to
>>> the root directory named in the program's first command-line arguâ
>>> ment, the child created by clone(2) then executes the program
>>> named in the remaining command-line arguments.
>>
>> Why not use the pivot_root(".", ".") in the example program?
>> It would make the example shorter, and also works if the process cannot
>> write to new_root (e..g., in a user namespace).
>
> I'm not sure. Some people have a bit of trouble to wrap their head
> around the pivot_root(".", ".") idea. (I possibly am one of them.)
> I'd be quite keen to hear other opinions on this. Unfortunately,
> few people have commented on this manual page rewrite.

I am happy as long as it is pivot_root(".", ".") is documented
somewhere. There is real code that uses it so it is not going away.
Plus pivot_root(".", ".") is really what is desired in a lot of
situations where the caller of pivot_root is an intermediary and
does not control the new root filesystem. At which point the only
path you can be guaranteed to exit on the new root filesystem is "/".

Eric