Re: + printf-add-support-for-printing-symbolic-error-codes.patch added to -mm tree

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Mon Oct 07 2019 - 04:14:17 EST

Hi Andrew,

On Sat 2019-10-05 14:52:00, Andrew Morton wrote:

> The patch titled
> Subject: vsprintf: add support for printing symbolic error codes
> has been added to the -mm tree. Its filename is
> printf-add-support-for-printing-symbolic-error-codes.patch

The patch is still under discussion. AFAIK, Rasmus is working on v4.
The main points are:

+ Rename the ambiguous "errcode" to "errname".

+ Introduce "%pe" instead of enhancing plain %p. First, the plain %p
has become almost useless (hashing) on purpose (avoid leaking
addresses). Second, we need something that will be explicitly
used to print error codes.

+ Plus there are few more cosmetic issues.

I planed to take the patch via printk.git once ready.

Best Regards,
Petr