Re: [Regression] MacBook Pro - suspend does not power off - reaches dangerously hot temps

From: Eric Blau
Date: Wed Sep 25 2019 - 08:05:02 EST

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 5:44 PM Eric Blau <eblau@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a MacBook Pro 12,1 model where I've hit a regression since
> upgrading to 5.2.x. When I enter hybrid-sleep mode with "systemctl
> hybrid-sleep", the laptop appears to enter suspend (screen turns off
> and keyboard backlights go out) but actually is still on with the CPU
> fan powered off.
>
> When I first noticed this, I had put my laptop away in my bag and
> noticed it got extremely hot to the point of being dangerously close
> to a fire hazard. It was too hot to touch and would not resume
> successfully either from suspend or, after powering off, from
> hibernate.
>
> I've had no issues on 5.1 through 5.1.16 but every version of 5.2.x
> I've tried (5.2 through 5.2.8) has exhibited this problem. Is there a
> known regression in suspend handling in the kernel? I noticed some
> traffic about suspend and NVMe devices but I do not have an NVMe
> drive.
>
> If nobody else has reported this issue, I would be glad to do a bisect
> to help resolve it.

I guess nobody else has hit this issue. The problem still occurs with 5.3.

I started a bisect and was able to determine that the problem is not
present in 5.2 but was introduced in a later 5.2.x stable update and
is present in 5.3. I will report my results when the bisect it
complete but it takes several hybrid-sleep/resume cycles to be sure
the issue does not exist in a given commit. If anyone else is
observing this problem or has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Eric Blau