Re: For review: pidfd_send_signal(2) manual page

From: Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
Date: Tue Sep 24 2019 - 15:44:55 EST

Hello Christian,

On 9/23/19 4:23 PM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 01:26:34PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> * Michael Kerrisk:
>>
>>> SYNOPSIS
>>> int pidfd_send_signal(int pidfd, int sig, siginfo_t info,
>>> unsigned int flags);
>>
>> This probably should reference a header for siginfo_t.
>
> Agreed.
>

>>> ESRCH The target process does not exist.
>>
>> If the descriptor is valid, does this mean the process has been waited
>> for? Maybe this can be made more explicit.
>
> If by valid you mean "refers to a process/thread-group leader" aka is a
> pidfd then yes: Getting ESRCH means that the process has exited and has
> already been waited upon.
> If it had only exited but not waited upon aka is a zombie, then sending
> a signal will just work because that's currently how sending signals to
> zombies works, i.e. if you only send a signal and don't do any
> additional checks you won't notice a difference between a process being
> alive and a process being a zombie. The userspace visible behavior in
> terms of signaling them is identical.

(Thanks for the clarification. I added the text "(i.e., it has
terminated and been waited on)" to the ESRCH error.)

>>> The pidfd_send_signal() system call allows the avoidance of race
>>> conditions that occur when using traditional interfaces (such as
>>> kill(2)) to signal a process. The problem is that the traditional
>>> interfaces specify the target process via a process ID (PID), with
>>> the result that the sender may accidentally send a signal to the
>>> wrong process if the originally intended target process has termiâ
>>> nated and its PID has been recycled for another process. By conâ
>>> trast, a PID file descriptor is a stable reference to a specific
>>> process; if that process terminates, then the file descriptor
>>> ceases to be valid and the caller of pidfd_send_signal() is
>>> informed of this fact via an ESRCH error.
>>
>> It would be nice to explain somewhere how you can avoid the race using
>> a PID descriptor. Is there anything else besides CLONE_PIDFD?
>
> If you're the parent of the process you can do this without CLONE_PIDFD:
> pid = fork();
> pidfd = pidfd_open();
> ret = pidfd_send_signal(pidfd, 0, NULL, 0);
> if (ret < 0 && errno == ESRCH)
> /* pidfd refers to another, recycled process */

Although there is still the race between the fork() and the
pidfd_open(), right?

>>> static
>>> int pidfd_send_signal(int pidfd, int sig, siginfo_t *info,
>>> unsigned int flags)
>>> {
>>> return syscall(__NR_pidfd_send_signal, pidfd, sig, info, flags);
>>> }
>>
>> Please use a different function name. Thanks.

Covered in another thread. I await some further feedback from Florian.

Thanks,

Michael

--
Michael Kerrisk