Re: Linux 5.3-rc8

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 18:13:23 EST

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 01:26:39PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Of course, even then people will say "I don't trust the platform". But
> at some point you just say "you have trust issues" and move on.

It's where our extreme configurability can hurt. Sometimes we'd rather
avoid providing some of these "I don't trust this or that" options and
impose some choices to users: "you need entropy to boot, stop being
childish and collect the small entropy where it is, period". I'm not
certain the other operating systems not experiencing entropy issues
leave as many choices as we do. I can understand how some choices may
be problematic in virtual environments but there are so many other
attack vectors there that randomness is probably a detail.

Willy