Re: Running an application on a new VT

From: Christoph Pleger
Date: Wed Sep 18 2019 - 11:32:59 EST

Hello,

On 2019-09-16 13:53, Christoph Pleger wrote:

I am using the program openvt to run another program. openvt is used
to open a new virtual terminal and then run the given program on the
new VT. In my case, I want to start a KDE Plasma session on the new
VT.

Unfortunately, this did not work as expected: After entering the
command 'openvt -s -w -- dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor', the
KDE session did not start on the new VT, but on tty1, from where I had
entered the openvt command. Then, I tried with 'openvt -s -w --
/bin/bash', but though this ran bash on a new virtual terminal,
entering 'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' on the new VT caused
a switch back to tty1 and again, the desktop session started there.

Does anybody know why not the new VT is used for the desktop session
and how that behaviour can be changed?

This is totally crazy: Even when I omit the -w option to openvt, so that I can log out from tty1, then switch to the new VT and enter 'dbus-run-session startplasmacompositor' there, the KDE session starts on tty1, though of course logging out from /dev/tty1 changed its owner to root. So, how can a process with real UID, effective UID and saved UID (I checked that) change the ownership of a device that was owned by root?

Still nobody who has an idea what is going on here with the virtual terminals?

Regards
Christoph