RE: [RFC] mm: Proactive compaction

From: Nitin Gupta
Date: Wed Aug 21 2019 - 19:24:12 EST

This combination of workloads for mixing movable and unmovable
pages sounds good. I coded up these two and here's what I observed:

- kernel: 5.3.0-rc5 + this patch, x86_64, 32G RAM.
- Set extfrag_{low,high} = {25,30} for order-9
- Run pagecache and dentry thrash test programs as you described
- for pagecache test: mmap and sequentially read 128G file on a 32G system.
- for dentry test: set n=100. I created /tmp/missing.[0-10000] so these dentries stay allocated..
- Start linux kernel compile for further pagecache thrashing.

With above workload fragmentation for order-9 stayed 80-90% which kept
kcompactd0 working but it couldn't make progress due to unmovable pages
from dentries. As expected, we keep hitting compaction_deferred() as
compaction attempts fail.

After a manual `echo 3 | /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches` and stopping dentry thrasher,
kcompactd succeded in bringing extfrag below set thresholds.

With unmovable pages spread across memory, there is little compaction
can do. Maybe we should have a knob like 'compactness' (like swapiness) which
defines how aggressive compaction can be. For high values, maybe allow
freeing dentries too? This way hugepage sensitive applications can trade
with higher I/O latencies.

Thanks,
Nitin