Re: New kernel interface for sys_tz and timewarp?

From: Alexandre Belloni
Date: Wed Aug 14 2019 - 05:32:16 EST

On 14/08/2019 11:09:36+0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mi, 14.08.19 10:31, Arnd Bergmann (arnd@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
>
> > - glibc stops passing the caller timezone argument to the kernel
> > - the distro kernel disables CONFIG_RTC_HCTOSYS,
> > CONFIG_RTC_SYSTOHC and CONFIG_GENERIC_CMOS_UPDATE
>
> What's the benefit of letting userspace do this? It sounds a lot more
> fragile to leave this syncing to userspace if the kernel can do this
> trivially on its own.

It does it trivially and badly:

- hctosys will always think the RTC is in UTC so if the RTC is in
local time, you will anyway have up to 12 hours difference until
userspace fixes that.

- the way systohc and hctosys are working will lead up to a 2 second
drift until ntp runs which is an issue for NTP stratum servers. My
tests show that there is a way for userspace to reduce that to tens of
nanoseconds but this means having a one or two seconds delay when setting
and reading the time. I want that to be opt-in.

- the RTC to be used for hctosys and systohc is hardcoded in Kconfig
and distro usually let the default rtc0 but many platforms have a non
functional RTC that ends up being rtc0. I would prefer that to be a
userspace configuration change instead of a kernel configuration change

--
Alexandre Belloni, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering