Re: screen freeze with 5.2-rc6 Dell XPS-13 skylake i915

From: Paul Bolle
Date: Tue Jul 09 2019 - 09:52:27 EST

Hi James,

James Bottomley schreef op za 29-06-2019 om 11:56 [-0700]:
> The symptoms are really weird: the screen image is locked in place.
> The machine is still functional and if I log in over the network I can
> do anything I like, including killing the X server and the display will
> never alter. It also seems that the system is accepting keyboard input
> because when it freezes I can cat information to a file (if the mouse
> was over an xterm) and verify over the network the file contents.
> Nothing unusual appears in dmesg when the lockup happens.
>
> The last kernel I booted successfully on the system was 5.0, so I'll
> try compiling 5.1 to narrow down the changes.

Upgrading to 5.2 (from 5.1.y) on a "Dell XPS 13 9350" (is that a skylake too?)
showed similar symptoms. There's no pattern to the freezes that I can see.
They're rather frequent too (think every few minutes). Eg, two freezes while
composing this message!

My totally silly workaround is suspending (via Fn + Insert) and resuming.

Did you manage to narrow this any further?

Thanks,

Paul Bolle