Re: linux-next: manual merge of the char-misc tree with the driver-core tree

From: Suzuki K Poulose
Date: Wed Jul 03 2019 - 04:41:37 EST

Greg, Stephen, All,

On 02/07/2019 22:41, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
Hi all,

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 13:05:59 -0400 "Michael S. Tsirkin" <mst@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 05:58:51PM +0200, Joerg Roedel wrote:
On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 11:23:34AM -0400, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
I can drop virtio iommu from my tree. Where's yours? I'd like to take a
last look and send an ack.

It is not in my tree yet, because I was waiting for your ack on the
patches wrt. the spec.

Given that the merge window is pretty close I can't promise to take it
into my tree for v5.3 when you ack it, so if it should go upstream this
time its better to keep it in your tree.

Hmm. But then the merge build fails. I guess I will have to include the
patch in the pull request then?

All you (and the driver-core maintainer) need to do is make sure you
tell Linus that the merge requires the fix ... he can then apply it to
the merge commit just as I have. Linus has asked that maintainers do
not (in general) cross merge to avoid these (semantic) conflicts.
Sometimes, in more complex cases, it may be necessary for maintainers
to share a (non changing) subset of their trees, but this case is
pretty trivial.

Please let me know if there is something I could help with.

Cheers
Suzuki