Re: [v2] coccinelle: semantic code search for missing of_node_put

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Sat Jun 29 2019 - 03:41:31 EST

>> +if (x == NULL || ...) S
>> +... when != e = (T)x
>> + when != true x == NULL
>
> I wonder if this code exclusion specification is really required
> after a null pointer was checked before.

I would like to add another view for this implementation detail.

The when constraint can express a software desire which can be reasonable
to some degree. You would like to be sure that a null pointer will not occur
after a corresponding check succeeded.

* But I feel unsure about the circumstances under which the Coccinelle software
can determine this aspect actually.

* I find that it can eventually make sense only after the content of
the local variable (which is identified by âxâ) was modified.
Thus I would find the exclusion of assignments more useful at this place.

Regards,
Markus