Re: RX CRC errors on I219-V (6) 8086:15be

From: Neftin, Sasha
Date: Wed Jun 26 2019 - 02:26:58 EST

On 6/26/2019 09:14, Kai Heng Feng wrote:
Hi Sasha

at 5:09 PM, Kai-Heng Feng <kai.heng.feng@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jeffrey,

Weâve encountered another issue, which causes multiple CRC errors and renders ethernet completely useless, hereâs the network stats:

I also tried ignore_ltr for this issue, seems like it alleviates the symptom a bit for a while, then the network still becomes useless after some usage.

And yes, itâs also a Whiskey Lake platform. Whatâs the next step to debug this problem?

Kai-Heng
CRC errors not related to the LTR. Please, try to disable the ME on your platform. Hope you have this option in BIOS. Another way is to contact your PC vendor and ask to provide NVM without ME. Let's start debugging with these steps.

/sys/class/net/eno1/statistics$ grep . *
collisions:0
multicast:95
rx_bytes:1499851
rx_compressed:0
rx_crc_errors:1165
rx_dropped:0
rx_errors:2330
rx_fifo_errors:0
rx_frame_errors:0
rx_length_errors:0
rx_missed_errors:0
rx_nohandler:0
rx_over_errors:0
rx_packets:4789
tx_aborted_errors:0
tx_bytes:864312
tx_carrier_errors:0
tx_compressed:0
tx_dropped:0
tx_errors:0
tx_fifo_errors:0
tx_heartbeat_errors:0
tx_packets:7370
tx_window_errors:0

Same behavior can be observed on both mainline kernel and on your dev-queue branch.
OTOH, the same issue canât be observed on out-of-tree e1000e.

Is there any plan to close the gap between upstream and out-of-tree version?

Kai-Heng