Re: [RFC] remove arch/sh?

From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Date: Tue Jun 25 2019 - 08:02:55 EST

Adam,

On 6/25/19 1:21 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
>> We're still using sh4 in Debian
>
> I wouldn't call it "used": it has popcon of 1, and despite watching many
> Debian channels, I don't recall hearing a word about sh4 in quite a while.

So, according to your logic, Debian should drop the mips64el (popcon 1)
and riscv64 ports (popcon 2) [1]?

> Hardware development is dead: we were promised modern silicon by j-core
> after original patents expired, but after J2 nothing happened, there was
> silence from their side, and now https://j-core.org is down.

It's not dead. You can still run it on an FPGA, the code is freely available.
Plus, the architecture seems to be still in use in the industry [2].

Adrian

--
.''`. John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' : Debian Developer - glaubitz@xxxxxxxxxx