Re: Kernel touch Kconfig consult

From: Marek Vasut
Date: Sun Jun 23 2019 - 06:51:18 EST

On 6/23/19 9:02 AM, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 06:47:19AM -0400, luhua.xu wrote:
>> Hi Dmitry,Rob,Marek, Nick,Richard,Martin,
>>
>> In our customer support experience, many smartphone have two or three
>> touch vendor mixture , and customer use one load to support all touches.
>> For easy to config touch driver we use kernel config like this down
>> below,
>>
>> We change the config type from 'bool' to 'string'.
>>
>> config TOUCHSCREEN_MTK_TOUCH
>> string "Touch IC name for Mediatek package"
>> help
>> Set touch IC name if you have touch panel.
>> To compile this dirver for used touch IC.
>>

>> And we config touch driver like thisï
>> CONFIG_TOUCHSCREEN_MTK_TOUCH="GT9886 GT1151 TD4320"
>>
>> I only use one config to support 3 touches, while we have to use 3
>> config to support 3 touch drivers if we set the config as 'bool'.
>>
>> So can I use Kconfig like this?
>> I do look forward to receiving your reply at your convenience .
>>

> I really do not see why having a sting is easier to have than 3 bools,
> especially if they pertain to different touch controllers. You must also
> have some custom processing of the config above as I am pretty sure our
> standard build tools would not work for it.

I might be missing something obvious, but isn't DT something you want to
use on your ARM device to describe the hardware , instead of hard-coding
it into the kernel configuration ?

I recently worked with MT6797 (the Gemini PDA SoC), and the vendorkernel
does exactly this, it's a spectacular display of ifdeffery and Kconfig
chaos, so I suspect this is where the idea of putting stuff into Kconfig
comes from.

--
Best regards,
Marek Vasut