Re: Coccinelle: Add a SmPL script for the reconsideration of redundant dev_err() calls

From: Markus Elfring
Date: Thu Jun 20 2019 - 15:35:30 EST

>> Would you prefer to clarify a more advanced approach?
>
> I think that something like
>
> if (IS_ERR(e))
> {
> <+...
> *dev_err(...)
> ...+>
> }
>
> would be more appropriate.

This SmPL construct can be more powerful.

> Whether there is a return or not doesn't really matter.

Such an adjustment can be helpful for a few operation modes.

But the number of statements in the if branch will influence the possibility
for the deletion of curly braces together with redundant dev_err() calls
by the SmPL patch mode.

>> Would you like to get the relevant function name dynamically determined?
>
> I have no idea what you consider "the relevant function name" to be.
> If it is always devm_ioremap_resource then it would seem that it does not
> need to be dynamically determined.

Do other functions share the same error reporting strategy so that any more
collateral software evolution can happen?

Regards,
Markus