SPDX conversion under scripts/dtc/ of Linux Kernel

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Wed Jun 19 2019 - 06:29:18 EST

Hi.

In this development cycle of Linux kernel,
lots of files were converted to use SPDX
instead of the license boilerplate.

However.

Some files were imported from a different project,
and are periodically synchronized with the upstream.
Have we discussed what to do about this case?

For example, scripts/dtc/ is the case.

The files in scripts/dtc/ are synced with the upstream
device tree compiler.

Rob Herring periodically runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
to import outcome from the upstream.

The upstream DTC has not adopted SPDX yet.

Some files in Linux (e.g. scripts/dtc/dtc.c)
have been converted to SPDX.

So, they are out of sync now.

The license boilerplate will come back
when Rob runs scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh
next time.

What shall we do?

[1] Convert upstream DTC to SPDX

This will be a happy solution if it is acceptable in DTC.
Since we cannot push the decision of the kernel to a different
project, this is totally up to David Gibson.

[2] Change scripts/dtc/update-dtc-source.sh to
take care of the license block somehow

synced with the upstream
(and scripts/dtc/ should be excluded from the
SPDX conversion tool.)

Or, what else?

--
Best Regards