Re: [RFC 00/10] Process-local memory allocations for hiding KVM secrets

From: Alexander Graf
Date: Thu Jun 13 2019 - 12:41:35 EST

On 12.06.19 21:55, Dave Hansen wrote:
On 6/12/19 10:08 AM, Marius Hillenbrand wrote:
This patch series proposes to introduce a region for what we call
process-local memory into the kernel's virtual address space.
It might be fun to cc some x86 folks on this series. They might have
some relevant opinions. ;)

A few high-level questions:

Why go to all this trouble to hide guest state like registers if all the
guest data itself is still mapped?

(jumping in for Marius, he's offline today)

Glad you asked :). I hope this cover letter explains well how to achieve guest data not being mapped:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/1/31/933

Where's the context-switching code? Did I just miss it?

I'm not sure I understand the question. With this mechanism, the global linear map pages are just not present anymore, so there is no context switching needed. For the process local memory, the page table is already mm local, so we don't need to do anything special during context switch, no?

Alex