Re: [RFC next v1 0/5] stmmac: honor the GPIO flags for the PHY reset GPIO

From: Maxime Ripard
Date: Mon Jun 10 2019 - 07:51:37 EST

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, Jun 09, 2019 at 10:45:10PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> > Patch #1 and #4 are minor cleanups which follow the boyscout rule:
> > "Always leave the campground cleaner than you found it."

> > am also looking for suggestions how to handle these cross-tree changes
> > (patch #2 belongs to the linux-gpio tree, patches #1, 3 and #4 should
> > go through the net-next tree. I will re-send patch #5 separately as
> > this should go through Kevin's linux-amlogic tree).
>
> Patches 1 and 4 don't seem to have and dependencies. So i would
> suggest splitting them out and submitting them to netdev for merging
> independent of the rest.

Jumping on the occasion of that series. These properties have been
defined to deal with phy reset, while it seems that the PHY core can
now handle that pretty easily through generic properties.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just move to that generic properties
that already deals with the flags properly?

Maxime

--
Maxime Ripard, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering