Re: linux-next: build failure after merge of the ecryptfs tree

From: Masahiro Yamada
Date: Tue May 14 2019 - 00:21:13 EST

Hi Stephen,

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro,
>
> Also, this:
>
> On Tue, 14 May 2019 09:40:53 +0900 Masahiro Yamada <yamada.masahiro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Mind you, I have no itdea why this file was begin rebuilt, the merge
> > > only touched these files:
> > >
> > > fs/ecryptfs/crypto.c
> > > fs/ecryptfs/keystore.c
>
> Its a bit annoying that the module was even being looked at given
> nothing it files depend upon had been modified.

If you are talking about the rebuild of
.tmp_versions/*.mod files,
yes, they are cleaned up every time.

# Create temporary dir for module support files
# clean it up only when building all modules
cmd_crmodverdir = $(Q)mkdir -p $(MODVERDIR) \
$(if $(KBUILD_MODULES),; rm -f $(MODVERDIR)/*)

I think the reason is that
we want to make sure stale modules are not remaining
when CONFIG_MY_DRIVER=m is turned into CONFIG_MY_DRIVER=n

Rebuilding .mod files is not expensive.

I think this behavior can be improved, but
that is how it has been working for a long time.

--
Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada