Re: Alleged fix for writer stall on -rcu branch dev

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Apr 15 2019 - 18:26:55 EST

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 01:04:03PM +0200, Sebastian Andrzej Siewior wrote:
> On 2019-04-15 03:56:45 [-0700], Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > This is new in rcutorture as well. It is complaining that we just got
> > done with a stutter interval (in which torturing temporarily stops)
> > but not everything has progressed through the callback chain to be freed.
> > And in this case it is happening during rcutorture shutdown, so I need
> > to check the callback -- I might need end-of-run checks in that WARN_ON().

And I did need end-of-run checks, which are now in -rcu on branch dev.

> good so nothing important so far. I hope the box gets to TREE08 soon.
> Do you want to me retrigger the run with your newer dev branch once it
> is done?

I feel a bit guilty monopolizing your system...

I have accumulated a collection of forward-progress ideas, so one approach
would be for me to get those written, then running well on my systems, and
then ask for some testing on your systems. Would that be a reasonable
approach?

Might make anyone else wanting to use that system in the near term more
happy as well. ;-)

Thanx, Paul