Re: ppc64le reliable stack unwinder and scheduled tasks

From: Joe Lawrence
Date: Mon Jan 14 2019 - 11:47:05 EST

On Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 08:21:40AM +0100, Nicolai Stange wrote:
> Joe Lawrence <joe.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > We should be careful when inspecting the bottom-most stack frame (the
> > first to be unwound), particularly for scheduled-out tasks. As Nicolai
> > Stange explains, "If I'm reading the code in _switch() correctly, the
> > first frame is completely uninitialized except for the pointer back to
> > the caller's stack frame." If a previous do_IRQ() invocation, for
> > example, has left a residual exception-marker on the first frame, the
> > stack tracer would incorrectly report this task's trace as unreliable.
> >

> FWIW, it's not been do_IRQ() who wrote the exception marker, but it's
> caller hardware_interrupt_common(), more specifically the
> EXCEPTION_PROLOG_COMMON_3 part therof.

Hi Nicolai,

Yeah, I was sloppy with the description there. :)

> I thought about this a little more and can't see anything that would
> prevent higher, i.e. non-_switch() frames to also alias with prior
> exception frames. That STACK_FRAME_REGS_MARKER is written to a stack
> frame's "parameter area" and most functions probably don't initialize
> this either. So, AFAICS, higher stack frames could potentially be
> affected by the very same problem.

Hmm, I suppose a callee could leave that stack-word untouched and then
make subsquent calls, which would be confusing for the unwinder.

> I think the best solution would be to clear the STACK_FRAME_REGS_MARKER
> upon exception return. I have a patch ready for that and will post it
> after it has passed some basic testing -- hopefully later this day.

I agree that this seems like the simplest way to clean up the exception
stack frame state.

> That being said, I still think that your patch should also get applied
> in some form -- looking at unitialized memory is just not a good thing
> to do.
>
> [ ... snip ...]

> I would perhaps not limit this to the STACK_FRAME_REGS_MARKER, but also
> not emit the ip obtained from the first frame into the resulting trace.
>
> I.e., how about moving all the sp/newsp handling to the beginning of the
> loop and doing an 'if (firstframe) continue;' right after that?

Good point, there is a bunch of ip and trace entries bookkeeping that
shouldn't apply in this case.

I gave the following some very light testing (5.0.0-rc2 + Petr's atomic
patches as to include and run the selftests) ... if you want to take a
bigger hammer to refactor some of the sp/newsp code (perhaps it could be
incorporated into the for() loop itself), feel free to go for it. You
could add something like this as a 2nd patch to the previously mentioned
STACK_FRAME_REGS_MARKER cleanup fix.

Thanks,

-- Joe