Re: FYI: Userland breakage caused by udev bind commit

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Dec 24 2018 - 13:28:53 EST

On Mon, Dec 24, 2018 at 10:13 AM Christian Brauner <christian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So one possibility is to add a socket option for lib/kobject_uevent.c
> that can be set via setsockopt. We did something like this in netlink
> for strict property and header checking without breaking backwards
> compatibility.

I'd actually prefer for it to be some /sys interface or other. Maybe
it could even be per-device or class, and you could do something like

echo "enable bind" > /sys/bus/serio/uevent

the uevent code already supports a per-node "filter" function, maybe
that notion could be extended to also have a filter for uevent types.

But I'm just handwaving. Maybe it's better per uevent socket or something.

Linus