Re: [LKP] [mm] ac5b2c1891: vm-scalability.throughput -61.3% regression

From: David Rientjes
Date: Fri Dec 21 2018 - 17:18:50 EST

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018, Vlastimil Babka wrote:

> > It would be interesting to know if anybody has tried using the per-zone
> > free_area's to determine migration targets and set a bit if it should be
> > considered a migration source or a migration target. If all pages for a
> > pageblock are not on free_areas, they are fully used.
>
> Repurposing/adding a new pageblock bit was in my mind to help multiple
> compactors not undo each other's work in the scheme where there's no
> free page scanner, but I didn't implement it yet.

It looks like Mel has a series posted that still is implemented with
linear scans through memory, so I'm happy to move the discussion there; I
think the goal for compaction with regard to this thread is determining
whether reclaim in the page allocator would actually be useful and
targeted reclaim to make memory available for isolate_freepages() could be
expensive. I'd hope that we could move in a direction where compaction
doesn't care where the pageblock is and does the minimal amount of work
possible to make a high-order page available, not sure if that's possible
with a linear scan. I'll take a look at Mel's series though.