Re: Can we drop upstream Linux x32 support?

From: Adam Borowski
Date: Thu Dec 13 2018 - 04:57:28 EST

On Thu, Dec 13, 2018 at 10:37:31AM +0100, Sven Hartrumpf wrote:
> Will the proposed patch ("only") remove the possibility to build x32 kernels
> or will it make impossible to compile and run any x32 binaries?

There's no such thing as x32 kernels. It's an ABI atop amd64 kernels; the
kernel is always 64-bit -- short pointers apply only to userspace and
syscalls.

It could be interesting to block regular amd64 syscalls and leave x32 only
-- for "security through rarity", but the kernel itself would still look the
same.

Meow!
--
âââââââ
âââââââ Ivan was a worldly man: born in St. Petersburg, raised in