Re: [solved] *powersave* governor shown despite disabled in configuration

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Wed Dec 12 2018 - 16:26:15 EST

Dear Dominik,

Thank you for your quick response.

Am 11.12.18 um 07:51 schrieb Dominik Brodowski:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 04:30:05PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

With Linux 4.14.76, the scaling governor *powersave* is shown as
being available despite being disabled in the configuration.

Which cpufreq driver do you use? Presumably intel_pstate?

Yes, intel_pstate.

That driver exposes internal policies / "governors" named "performance" and "powersave", which are unrelated to
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE.
Indeed, that confused me, and I didnât read the documentation
carefully enough.

They are not generic scaling governors, but their names are the same as the
names of some of those governors. Moreover, confusingly enough, they generally
do not work in the same way as the generic governors they share the names with.
For example, the ``powersave`` P-state selection algorithm provided by
``intel_pstate`` is not a counterpart of the generic ``powersave`` governor
(roughly, it corresponds to the ``schedutil`` and ``ondemand`` governors).

There are two P-state selection algorithms provided by ``intel_pstate`` in the
active mode: ``powersave`` and ``performance``. The way they both operate
depends on whether or not the hardware-managed P-states (HWP) feature has been
enabled in the processor and possibly on the processor model.

Kind regards,

Paul

[1]: https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/pm/intel_pstate.html