Re: [patch V2 27/28] x86/speculation: Add seccomp Spectre v2 user space protection mode

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Tue Dec 04 2018 - 13:45:16 EST

> static const char * const spectre_v2_user_strings[] = {
> [SPECTRE_V2_USER_NONE] = "User space: Vulnerable",
> [SPECTRE_V2_USER_STRICT] = "User space: Mitigation: STIBP protection",
> [SPECTRE_V2_USER_PRCTL] = "User space: Mitigation: STIBP via prctl",
> + [SPECTRE_V2_USER_SECCOMP] = "User space: Mitigation: STIBP via seccomp and prctl",
> };

Since there's some heartburn about the STIBP naming, should we make this
more generic? Maybe something like "SMT hardening", so it says:

"User space: Mitigation: SMT hardening via prctl"

or,

"User space: Mitigation: maybe go slow on indirect branches via prctl"

if we're trying be more precise on the effects. :)