Re: ext4 file system corruption with v4.19.3 / v4.19.4

From: Rainer Fiebig
Date: Wed Nov 28 2018 - 10:55:17 EST

Am Mittwoch, 28. November 2018, 13:02:56 schrieb Andrey Jr. Melnikov:
> In gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4 Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 03:16:33AM +0300, Andrey Jr. Melnikov wrote:
> > > Corrupted inodes - always directory, not touched at least year or
> > > more for writing. Something wrong when updating atime?
> >
> > We're not sure. The frustrating thing is that it's not reproducing
> > for me. I run extensive regression tests, and I'm using 4.19 on my
> > development laptop without notcing any problems. If I could reproduce
> > it, I could debug it, but since I can't, I need to rely on those who
> > are seeing the problem to help pinpoint the problem.
>
> My workstation hit this bug every time after boot. If you have an idea - I
> may test it.
>
> > I'm trying to figure out common factors from those people who are
> > reporting problems.
> >
> > (a) What distribution are you running (it appears that many people
> > reporting problems are running Ubuntu, but this may be a sampling
> > issue; lots of people run Ubuntu)? (For the record, I'm using Debian
> > Testing.)
>
> Debian sid but self-build kernel from ubuntu mainline-ppa.

You could try a vanilla 4.19.5 from https://www.kernel.org/
and compile it with your current .config.

If you still see the errors, at least the Ubuntu-kernel could be ruled out.

In addition, if you still see the errors:

- backup your .config in a *different* folder (so that you can later re-use
it)
- do a "make mrproper" (deletes the .config, see above)
- do a "make defconfig"
- and compile the kernel with that new .config

If you still have the problem after that, you may want to learn how to bisect.
;)

So long!

Rainer Fiebig

--
The truth always turns out to be simpler than you thought.
Richard Feynman